Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Jonathan and I have been super excited for Christmas for a long time now. When the first snow fell, he asked if we could put up our Christmas tree. Since it was October and we were trying to get ready to move, I told him we had to wait. And then after we moved, Jonathan continued asking about putting up our tree. Last year, our first holiday season together, we decided that our tree could go up the first weekend in November. So I guess that's our tradition. We may need to alter that someday when we put up a real tree, but for now, the first weekend in November is as long as we can put it off.

Netty was really excited about the branches as I was setting up the tree, but since it's been up, she hasn't been too interested in it. She looks at it when I turn the lights on, and she reaches for it when I bring her up to it. But even now that she's scooting, she stays away from it. 

I love holiday traditions, and I am so excited to now have my own family to create traditions with. So one that we're created is that Jon and Netty put the star on the tree. I don't know if it will always be the oldest child, always the baby, or if we'll rotate it every year once we have more children, but for now it's Jonathan and Netty's job.

Last year we bought some cheap Christmas cookie cutters, but the sweet smell of cookies made me sick while I was pregnant and the mess of sugar cookies seemed too overwhelming. The cookie cutters went untouched. This year, we braved sugar cookies. Twice so far! The first time we made them it was just Jonathan and me after we put Netty to bed. We watched The Grinch (the Jim Carey one) and baked. 

Waiting for the first batch to finish baking 

These were the lucky cookies that made it from dough to cutting to baking to frosting to picture without being eaten. It's a long process, and many cookies were not so lucky. We each ate four too many.

We gave some of the cookies to my cousin Nicole, along with some chocolate chip cookies. There were at least a dozen cookies on the plate. Nicole took it home, and in her tiredness, she left them sitting on her table. The next day, she found an empty plate. Due to the lack of presents left, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an early visit from Santa. Nicole was mad, so she wrote a note to her roommates. That next week Nicole came over and we baked sugar cookies again. That was right before she left for Thanksgiving, so I don't know if she ate many of those either, so we may need to have yet another cookie baking party. I'm pretty sure no one will complain.

Netty's first sugar cookie. The leftover cookie and frosting bits on her lower lip and chin look kind of like teeth, but I assure you, it's goopy cookie and frosting.

Our Candy Cane



No comments:

Post a Comment