Sunday, November 18, 2012

Halloween 2012


Last year: Jonathan and I lie in bed at 7:00 watching movies because I am too sick to move. We eat Taco Bell nachos for the third time that week because it's the only thing that sounds good. I check my phone every three minutes to see if I missed a message from one of my siblings and pray that they haven't forgotten to take pictures of their children in their costumes. I am too excited for the following year when I would be able to dress up my own baby. I bore Jonathan with all of my costume ideas. "If it's a girl, we definitely need to dress her like this." "A boy definitely needs this costume for his first Halloween." And I'm promising myself that I definitely won't wait until I get a phone call before I send out a picture of my costumed baby.

This year: Netty hasn't taken a good nap all day. Finally after she's been asleep for thirty minutes and I'm sure she'll sleep for ninety more, Jonathan calls me to say he's on his way home to pick us up to go to the Reading Center. I pray harder than ever in my life that the baby will stay asleep while I transfer her from her bed to the car seat, but as soon as I put a finger on her, she wails. Jonathan gets home, we wrestle Netty to the ground to put a black dot on her nose with my eyeliner, and she screams and flails the entire time. Netty and I hang out in the Reading Center while Jonathan meets with his tutor, and then we go outside to take pictures of Netty in her costume. By this time she has already nursed and left black smudges all over me and my clothes, and her nose looks more dirty than anything. Just as I'm about to start snapping pictures, my sister calls me. "So, when am I going to get a picture of Netty in her costume?"










Snug as a bug

No comments:

Post a Comment