Remember those days when you could just run to the store "real quick," and it really was quick? Yeah, I don't either. Every shopping trip is a production.
Before making a nice anniversary dinner for Jon, I went shopping to get the last few things we needed for the dinner and to find a present for him. Jon kept the sleeping baby (for which I was very grateful). While at the store I decided to get a dress for the occasion. This was a picture that I took in the dressing room because, like many girls, I can't decide if I want to buy clothes unless I get a second or sometimes third opinion. And notice Netty in the background. This is what you have to do when you need to try something on with a toddler in tow.
I have only braved shopping on my own with the kids a couple times. My first experience was a grocery shopping trip. I parked right next to the cart return.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful baby who loves the Snugli and sleeps whenever he is in it. So at least in the store, Atticus was perfectly content.
I'm no dummy. Before we left I grabbed some graham crackers so that Netty would be happy. And then I stopped by the tortilla stand inside and grabbed several fresh tortilla samples for her to munch on once the graham crackers were gone. It was a smoother trip than I could have imagined. And every three or four minutes, another shopper would stop me and said, "You sure have your hands full!" (That's all I hear when I go out in public anymore.)
For the first time in my life, I accepted help from the bagger, but technically, he didn't even ask. He just grabbed the cart and said, "I'll help you out." By the time I had Atticus out of the Snugli and buckled in his car seat, the bagger had loaded the groceries into the back of my car and was keeping Netty busy until I could pull her out.
So then we got home. I pulled out Atticus's seat and set it on the sidewalk and then got Netty out. I walked the kids into the apartment, put Atticus in his swing, and told Netty to play with her baby stroller until I got back. She through a fit, and ran to the door before I could close it. Netty came with me back to the car, I grabbed as many groceries as I could, corralling my toddler as I went, and dropped the bags right inside the door. By this time, Atticus was screaming in his swing, and I still had several more bags in the car. I apologized to my screaming baby and ran outside to Netty, who was already halfway back to down the sidewalk to the car. I gathered the rest of my groceries, closed the trunk, and then ran after Netty (while carrying seven grocery bags), who had taken off toward the street. By the time we got back in the apartment and I dropped the rest of my bags, Atticus was hoarse, red, and sweaty. So I held Atticus while carrying the groceries to the kitchen putting away the food.
For the first time in my life, I accepted help from the bagger, but technically, he didn't even ask. He just grabbed the cart and said, "I'll help you out." By the time I had Atticus out of the Snugli and buckled in his car seat, the bagger had loaded the groceries into the back of my car and was keeping Netty busy until I could pull her out.
So then we got home. I pulled out Atticus's seat and set it on the sidewalk and then got Netty out. I walked the kids into the apartment, put Atticus in his swing, and told Netty to play with her baby stroller until I got back. She through a fit, and ran to the door before I could close it. Netty came with me back to the car, I grabbed as many groceries as I could, corralling my toddler as I went, and dropped the bags right inside the door. By this time, Atticus was screaming in his swing, and I still had several more bags in the car. I apologized to my screaming baby and ran outside to Netty, who was already halfway back to down the sidewalk to the car. I gathered the rest of my groceries, closed the trunk, and then ran after Netty (while carrying seven grocery bags), who had taken off toward the street. By the time we got back in the apartment and I dropped the rest of my bags, Atticus was hoarse, red, and sweaty. So I held Atticus while carrying the groceries to the kitchen putting away the food.
And then Netty and I had donuts for lunch.
Apparently I have my hands full.




No comments:
Post a Comment