Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Graduate of B.S.


After seven years (yes, I know I should be a doctor by now), I am finally a BYU-Idaho graduate. At least I think I am. The degrees are conferred by President Clark according to the Commencement program, and my name was not in it. Instead, one girl's name was in it twice, and mine was not in there at all. My name would have been in its own section since I was the only one graduating with a Bachelor of Science in English Education Composite. And even more irritating is that I happen to know that the girl whose name was in my place didn't complete her student teaching and didn't graduate. At first I didn't care. Then I was mildly annoyed. Then I was really frustrated. Now, several days later, I am back to mildly annoyed. I'm pretty sure that in the next day or two I won't care anymore.


I am pretty sure that graduation cap and gown was designed by either a complete idiot or a jerk who believed women shouldn't graduate. There is no possible way to look cute in a cap and gown. The man who handed me my gown took one look at my belly and upped the size. Then I had the ever-so-annoying experience of trying to keep my cap on my head. Finally I called Stephanie, and she came to the rescue with a hair clip to keep it secured.


The "graduation candidates," as they are called, are contained in a 10-court gym and told to stand in line. I was reminded of my elementary school days when we were told to stay in line and after about a minute, everyone has scattered and mixed. It was incredibly uncomfortable for me to stand in one spot. I only survived by rocking back and forth.


I had contractions all through graduation, and they got progressively harder, but they stopped around 10:00 when we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.


Elder Ballard was the Commencement speaker. One of the things that I loved so much about his talk was how hopeful he was about the future. He said that although times are tough right now, we will begin to see things turn for the better. Of course this doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared for more hard times, but we need to turn our fears about the future into faith. We have been blessed to go to such a wonderful university where we have been taught by the Spirit, and with such an education we can do great things.


By the time we got to Convocation, I was ready to be done with the night. However, it did feel so good to walk across the stage in the Manwaring Center Grand Ballroom and receive my diploma.....cover. I think it's silly that we go through the formality of receiving a folder that doesn't even have a diploma in it. The professor handing out the diploma covers was Brother Bennion, my Shakespeare teacher. The last time he saw me, only a couple semesters ago, I was engaged, and now I have a balloon in my belly and a waddle in my step.


My parents can now say that they have successfully graduated all five of their children with Bachelor's degrees. It is truly amazing that although neither of them graduated from college, every one of their children has, and two of them so far are currently attending graduate school. My graduation from college, in many ways, is a greater reflection of their dedication to education and to their children.


I am also so proud of Jon. Over the last three semesters he has stayed beside me, sometimes pushing, sometimes pulling, and sometimes picking me up and carrying me. He has been a real trooper through my anxiety attacks, morning sickness, and mood swings. The stress has been unbearable at times, and I surely would not have gotten through the last stretch of my college education without him. I love you Jonny!

1 comment: