Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Good and Not-So-Good Food*

*Older pictures and videos

As I've already stated, Netty is a very good little eater. She eats just about anything I put in front of her.

This is one of Netty's favorite meals - Chicken, broccoli, and quinoa. This is what I make when I'm in one of those I'm-going-to-eat-healthy moods. 

Of course we don't eat like this all the time. We eat more processed food than we should.

Mac and Cheese - Learning to feed herself

There are times when Netty throws fits and won't eat anything I put in front of her. On those days, I use any method I can for her to eat.


Here's a few pics from a summer trip to McDonald's.

Ketchup Face

I-C-E-C-R-E-A.....

....Mmmmm!

2 comments:

  1. What are your tricks to get her to eat? My Parker is not being a nice eater any more. He only wants crackers and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Netty only wants certain foods, I don't push it. I figure a full kid is a happy kid, even if it means they're not eating from all of the food groups all of the time. I offer bits of everything. The other thing is if she is snacking all day, she won't eat as much at mealtimes. On the other hand, if she's starving by the time dinner rolls around, she doesn't eat very well. It's a really hard balance. My opinion is that as long as it's not complete junk food (candy, sugary juice, etc.) it's fine. Sometimes, especially with cheese, I put it on top of other things, like vegetables or chicken or whatever, and Netty will eat it that way. We have a rule that if Netty doesn't want to eat something, she needs to leave it on her plate, which saves us from having to clean the floors so much. Don't be afraid of seasonings like Mrs. Dash or garlic or whatever. I think sometimes we want them to like the natural flavors of vegetables and things, but let's be honest. Butter and garlic make vegetables taste better. Netty wants her food to taste good just like anyone.

    Another idea that I used to use with Sophie (who was a VERY picky eater) was I would get creative with the presentation of the meals. One day I made her sandwich and then cut it into shapes with cookie cutters. Eating a star sandwich is much more fun than eating a rectangle sandwich.

    And as a last resort, when I can't get Netty to eat any other way, I pull out my phone and get her totally engrossed in Baby Einstein, and then I stick food in her mouth. Usually she's so wrapped up in the show that she doesn't notice that she's eating.

    Something I have heard is that kids who will only eat one or two things, at least at this age, usually grow out of it in a week or two. I think that's why it's important to just keep offering other food. Eventually, they will pick something up, decide it's delicious, and the next time you offer it, they'll eat it right up.

    I don't know if any of that helps. I know every kid is different. Let me know if you find something that works, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete