Thursday, August 1, 2013

Being Dad and Mom

Do you ever have those moments when suddenly you blink and think, "Wait, am I really here? Is this really my life?" Whether from fatigue or the ever-changing chaos around me, I have these moments every day, sometimes multiple times a day. Sometimes it's a bad feeling, like a "What evil have I done to deserve this" feeling. But most of the time it's a good feeling.

In the last two years I got married once and gave birth twice. And that changes a person. My clothes don't fit the way they once did. I cry during movies, something I very rarely did before. In fact, I tear up at least once a day now. Three consecutive hours of sleep feels like the greatest amount of heaven on earth. And my favorite part of the day is not when I'm getting into bed, it's that space before bedtime, before my children's bed times when I can just hold them, smell them, look at how perfect they are (in the spiritual sense, not the temper-tantrum-toddler sense). I had the unique opportunity the other night of holding Atticus in my left arm to nurse him and Netty in my right arm while she drank her bottle. My life has changed so completely. And I love it.

Netty and Jon

Netty and Me

Atticus and Jon

Atticus and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment