Saturday, July 20, 2013

Firework

After my last post in which I lamented not being able to go to Utah for Fourth of July festivities, my mom arranged to come to Idaho with my brother Justin and his family on July 3rd just for the day to spend the afternoon at Rigby Lake. So after staying up until 4:00 a.m. over-preparing for a Primary Activity Days activity that I was in charge of, I ran errands, prepared a picnic lunch for Justin's and my families, played at the lake for a few hours in blazing heat, led my Activity Days activity, and returned home so exhausted that I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than a couple minutes at a time. I dozed off and on for several hours but didn't feel well enough to eat dinner or really to do anything. I felt off, but I figured it was exhaustion from little sleep and a busy day. Little did I know, a firework was igniting inside me.

July 4th
1:00 a.m. -- Listening to music and playing Solitaire on my iPod, feeling regular contractions.

2:00 a.m. -- Starting to time contractions because I've never felt them this regular or strong for so long before.

3:00 a.m. -- Waking Jon. "I don't want to alarm you, but...." Calling Mom. "I might be in labor."

3:15 a.m. -- Walking up and down the sidewalk outside our apartment and timing contractions, which are getting stronger.

4:00 a.m. -- Calling Mom again. "I know you just got home from Idaho, but I'm probably having a baby today."

4:15 a.m. -- Trying to relax in the shower. Two nights in a row not sleeping well is going to bite me in the butt.

4:30 a.m. -- Walking the sidewalk again.

5:00 a.m. -- Calling the hospital. "Sounds like you're in early labor. Come in whenever you'd like."

5:10 a.m. -- Calling Mom again. "I'll wait a little longer to call a sitter."

6:30 a.m. -- Calling Casey. "I'm in labor. Can you come over?"

7:20 a.m. -- Sitting carefully in the car, breathing through contractions. "Slower around the corners, Jonny."

8:30 a.m. -- Having a mini ultrasound to see if baby is still breach. Inconclusive. Getting "checked." 3 cm.

9:30 a.m. -- Getting checked by the doctor after walking the halls for 45 minutes. 4 cm. "You're in labor. Let's break your water. Baby will probably be here by noon."

10:00 a.m. -- Getting an IV and antibiotic for Group B. Then waiting and breathing.

2:00 p.m. -- Greeting Mom and Jessica, grateful that they have made it in time.

2:10 p.m. -- Breaking water. "Things will really pick up now."

3:00 p.m. -- Nothing.

4:00 p.m. -- Nothing.

5:00 p.m. -- Nothing.

6:00 p.m. -- Starting pitocin to get my contractions started again.

7:00 p.m. -- Breathing and crying.


8:00 p.m. -- Breathing and crying.

9:00 p.m. -- Getting checked. 6 cm. "I'm too tired. I'm not going to make it."

9:30 p.m. -- Epidural. Ahhhhh......

11:15 p.m. -- Getting checked. 10 cm. "Doctor is on his way."

11:37 p.m. -- "Let's do this. Push when you feel a contraction."

11:39 p.m. -- Seeing my son for the first time.




 




Atticus Dean Phelps
 6 lbs 9 oz
19 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment