Two months ago we went to a WIC meeting about infant feeding. They handed out these free shirts to all of the breastfed babies.
Everyone always told me how wonderful breastfeeding my baby would be. They don't tell you what a hassle it is when you're on campus and you have to carry a fifteen-pound baby, a ten pound diaper bag, and a heavy blanket while trying to hold a pacifier in a screaming baby's mouth through a quiet library to one of the very few rooms on campus that provide a mother's chair, all the while praying that someone isn't occupying the handicap stall that houses said chair. They also don't tell you about the dirty looks you get from people on the off-chance that you do have to feed your baby in public, even though you're completely covered with a shield. They don't tell you just how much it hurts when they first get started, or how frustrating it is when both mother and baby are learning how it all works. And then once it doesn't hurt so much anymore, baby gets teeth and bites.
However, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the closeness I feel with Netty when I feed her. There is nothing better than Netty smiling at me through her smiling, spilling milk all down the front of both of us. I love when she's latched on and she only smiles with her eyes. It is so satisfying to know that I have been able to keep a person alive solely from the milk that comes from my body.

You need to move to Seattle. I have only ever had positive, encouraging comments when I breastfeed in public. By baby #4, I rarely even used the nursing cover. Btw: It is sometimes easier to just sit down wherever you are when baby begins to get hungry (before she cries), latch her on, and THEN attempt to cover up - if you feel the need. That way Baby isn't attracting so much attention and, seriously, you just look like you are cuddling your child. :o)
ReplyDeletethis is just what i needed to read in the middle of the night after another painful nursing session. :) thanks Lindsey. You're awesome. I hope you get feeling better... Mono sounds awful.
ReplyDeleteLora, nursing does get a lot better. Just after Netty was born, I thought, "This is crazy! How come everyone says breastfeeding is wonderful? I hate it!" I thought there was something wrong with me that I wasn't crazy about feeding my own child. But eventually the pain will go away, and spending that one-on-one time with your baby is the most wonderful thing.
ReplyDelete